RubyConf 2005 Agenda Release
Posted at 15:43 | 14 Jun. 2020
This week in 2005 saw the release of that year's RubyConf agenda. I always find these as a gold mine for really interesting information about what was going on in the Ruby Community at the time! I was tempted to make this week just highlighting the talks of the time but think you'll enjoy parsing the agenda as much as I did. Familiar faces included DHH and Matz, and other legends such as the late Jim Weirich and Ryan Davis. Would have loved to have been there!
article ruby other
Now if you want to dig into the real, REAL nitty gritty of Ruby history, it can be a lot to parse but the `ruby-talk` community is great. It's something I'm going to try to feature more. Today's `ruby-forum` only goes back to 2008, but you can still get back into the 2000's with some gumption. (Which we all have, right?) This week in 2005 we say an interesting post that piqued the Ruby community, having a dig into the GC and finding weird failing edge cases. I think sometimes it's too easy to just think of the Garbage Collector as a there be dragons area of Ruby and never play around with it. This thread and following discussion is a *great* example of that.
code ruby opinion
If _why is the Herodotus of Ruby circa 2003-2009, then Peter Cooper is the Tacitus of Ruby 2006-present. We are so grateful for all of his work the last decade to effectively chronicle the goings on of Ruby. Here he shares a neat tool of the time, Anemone, to manage your own spiders and configure your own web crawling. Neat!
Subscribe below to receive all the latest Past Rubies straight to your inbox!
- What to expect in Ruby 1.9 (2008) | July 2020
- Matz speaks at OSCON | July 2020
- How to profile your Rails application in 2007 | July 2020
- RubyFringe: the three-day, $650 Ruby party of 2008 | July 2020
- A Starry Afternoon, a Sinking Symphony, and the Polo Champ Who Gave It All Up for No Reason Whatsoever | July 2020
- Using AWS with Ruby in 2007 | June 2020
- RubyConf 2005 Agenda Release | June 2020
- _why interviews DHH [PastRubies #9] | December 2019
- The Ruby on Rails Whitepaper - Past Rubies #7 | December 2019
- Speeding Up Rails with Aaron Patterson - Past Rubies #6 | July 2019
- Building a Ruby Gem with Steve Klabnik - Past Rubies #5 | July 2019
- Rails 1.0 turns 14! PastRubies #8 | December 2019