Using AWS with Ruby in 2007
Posted at 15:31 | 28 Jun. 2020
This one is a bit of a treat. Normally I capture blog posts, articles, releases or talks. But this week I've found an AWS-with-Ruby tutorial archived from the AWS site this week in 2007! It is easy for us to think of AWS as new-ish tooling, but it really has been a part of our tooling for a tremendously long time. (And no, they do not sponsor this newsletter!)
In the early days the Markaby library was heavily relied upon to generate HTML with Ruby. Most folks nowadays have enjoyed a mostly "settled" problem with the use of
Parkaby, which maintained most of the
Markaby DSL but up to 20 times faster. Woah!
We've heard of a slew of Ruby interpreters over the years. One I never heard of before, Sydney, had a developer preview release this week in 2005. The interpreter branched off of Ruby 1.8 and included a slew of interesting features at the time such as native
Binding.of_caller and native OS threads. I wonder if we can still get our hands on this Ruby today....
In here was have an interesting discussion this week in 2006 about writing methods in Ruby that self-destruct (with a tiny bit of MetaProgramming involved). Take a look at the comments, Ruby legend MenTaLguY chimes in with a few alternative examples as well. Try this out in your terminal!
Subscribe below to receive all the latest Past Rubies straight to your inbox!
- Matz talks mRuby at Barcelona Ruby Conf 2014 | September 2020
- Github: Scaling on Ruby with a nomadic tech team | July 2020
- 22 Ruby and Rails Jobs for August 2011 (With Even Some Junior Ones) | July 2020
- The schedule for Madison Ruby 2011 | July 2020
- What to expect in Ruby 1.9 (2008) | July 2020
- Matz speaks at OSCON | July 2020
- How to profile your Rails application in 2007 | July 2020
- RubyFringe: the three-day, $650 Ruby party of 2008 | July 2020
- A Starry Afternoon, a Sinking Symphony, and the Polo Champ Who Gave It All Up for No Reason Whatsoever | July 2020
- Using AWS with Ruby in 2007 | June 2020
- RubyConf 2005 Agenda Release | June 2020
- _why interviews DHH [PastRubies #9] | December 2019
- The Ruby on Rails Whitepaper - Past Rubies #7 | December 2019
- Speeding Up Rails with Aaron Patterson - Past Rubies #6 | July 2019
- Building a Ruby Gem with Steve Klabnik - Past Rubies #5 | July 2019
- Rails 1.0 turns 14! PastRubies #8 | December 2019